SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#288809 - 06/06/10 12:58 PM How Many "HOUSE" Electronica style players do we have here using arrangers?
Dnj Offline

Just wondering.....?..I was at a disco last night for a private affair and when that DJ Kicked it up I wondered how any arranger player could ever compete with the "HOUSE" Electronica style music songs they were playing all night to a packed dance floor.

#288810 - 06/06/10 01:23 PM Re: How Many "HOUSE" Electronica style players do we have here using arrangers?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
I use some for my gigs.
I have collected and modified quite a few styles that keep me busy for a while.
Plus I have a good collection of MP3's that will keep the younger generation happy for a long time.
Eric

#288811 - 06/06/10 01:24 PM Re: How Many "HOUSE" Electronica style players do we have here using arrangers?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric, B:
Plus I have a good collection of MP3's that will keep the younger generation happy for a long time.
Eric

Eric......exactly you gotta mix it up! I would think a Mediastation would excel nicely in a House gig situation also.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-06-2010).]

#288812 - 06/06/10 01:25 PM Re: How Many "HOUSE" Electronica style players do we have here using arrangers?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you can't play it, that is...

#288813 - 06/06/10 01:27 PM Re: How Many "HOUSE" Electronica style players do we have here using arrangers?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
If you can't play it, that is...

I cant play it....so diki what do you do in a house music situation witha G70?.....

#288814 - 06/06/10 01:32 PM Re: How Many "HOUSE" Electronica style players do we have here using arrangers?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Glad you pointed it out, Donny. How did it happen? Here's how. Big Bands became to expensive so we knocked it down to Quintets, then Trios, and finally Arrangers. Now, in the continuing quest to get more with less (musical) effort, we have what you just experienced at the Disco. In no time at all, we'll be back where we started from........a JUKEBOX. Total audience participation, no request denied, no pesky musicians showing up late and taking breaks, heaven on earth for the club owner.

Hey, we brought it on ourselves (with a little help from the club owners). We 'educated' our audiences to accept less......SMF's and backing tapes and lip syncing, and fake keyboard playing and Guitar Hero and DJ's and Karaoke and ........ blah, blah. Where does it end? Pretty soon, the only gigs around WILL be NH's 'cause that's the only place left with audiences that can remember what it was like to hear someone playing live........well, semi-live, if you're using an arranger keyboard. I may be going in circles here so I'll stop now, but I'm glad Donny brought this topic up.

Luckily, there are still a few owners out there who care enough about the quality of their entertainment and are willing to spend a little extra for the 'real deal' AND a few musicians that care enough about the art to take a 'little less' to add another player or two to enhance their product. JMO.

chas

#288815 - 06/06/10 01:40 PM Re: How Many "HOUSE" Electronica style players do we have here using arrangers?
Dnj Offline

Chas or you can become flexible and expand your talents to make a living as a full time Pro musician/Entertainer and adapt to the changes, play live, DJ, mix them both add backing tracks, fill in with a band, etc, etc, and try to cover as many bases to survive as possible. Nothing wrong with that. Every business needs to keep up with the market trends. It's just the way it is. Too late to worry about why ..

#288816 - 06/06/10 01:42 PM Re: How Many "HOUSE" Electronica style players do we have here using arrangers?
Diki Offline

My band just PLAYS the music, Donny. As you well know, it doesn't take sounding EXACTLY like the record to entertain people and make them dance...

The kids are just happy enough to hear a song they are familiar with that its' instrumentation doesn't really matter...

As different sounding as you are prepared to be from the original to do jazz tunes or even doo-wop (that harmonizer doesn't even get CLOSE!), why worry about nailing a house groove? Just play the song, make it your own, and they still dance!

#288817 - 06/06/10 01:44 PM Re: How Many "HOUSE" Electronica style players do we have here using arrangers?
Diki Offline

BTW, strange how many MUSICIANS there are here that somehow manage to survive without DJ-ing, Donny...

What is it that they have that you don't?

#288818 - 06/06/10 01:53 PM Re: How Many "HOUSE" Electronica style players do we have here using arrangers?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
BTW, strange how many MUSICIANS there are here that somehow manage to survive without DJ-ing, Donny...

What is it that they have that you don't?

I dont think you would survive playing clubs here with your band trying to fake HOUSE dance music in these NY/NJ HI ENERGY dance clubs no way!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online